Federal Tax Analyst
There’s a lot of opportunity to learn and grow, and it’s done in an environment where there’s a really great group of people who really care about everyone they work with. Also, Sonoco’s acquisitive and always looking to grow, which provides more opportunity for growth and learning in the tax department (most specifically, federal, which is this position).
While reporting to the Federal Tax Manager, as the Tax Analyst, you will be primarily responsible for U.S. federal income tax compliance and assist with ASC 740. You will work closely with various members from within and outside the tax department, and may assist with cross functional ad hoc projects as needed.
You are a highly motivated and energetic individual with strong tax compliance skills, and can think and adapt quickly.
Your job duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Primary duty is to assist with the preparation of the federal income tax return. May also include some assistance with preparation of state and local income tax filings.
- Maintain complete and accurate records and workpapers for all projects completed to support the tax filings, including documenting procedures for tasks completed where required.
- Prepare workpapers and schedules for quarterly and annual tax calculations, account roll forwards, and general tax compliance with changing accounting standards.
- Research and prepare memoranda and other documentation regarding tax issues, changing tax regulations, and accounting standards.
- Prepare responses to Information Document Requests (IDR’s) from federal taxing authorities.
- Support Sonoco teams outside of the tax area as needed to provide support and tax knowledge.
- Provide support and assistance to other areas of the tax department with tax compliance as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 2 years of directly related corporate tax compliance and provision experience in public accounting and/or a multinational company, primarily experience with large, complex, multinational U.S. income tax filings.
- Detailed oriented with excellent analytic and problem solving skills.
- Strong analytical thinking, writing, and communications skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor degree in accounting or taxation; MST/CPA preferred.
- Experience with CorpTax compliance software preferred.