Senior Tax Analyst
This role can sit in Providence, RI or Eden Prairie, MN. It will be a hybrid work environment.
The tax department’s audit team is responsible for defending routine federal and state income tax audits and state indirect tax audits, as well as supporting the Company’s internal audit function through maintenance of tax department SOX documentation. The role of the Senior Tax Analyst supports the Tax Manager in these functions by activities including but not limited to maintaining the audit tracker, compiling responses to Information Document Requests, corresponding with auditors, reviewing audit reports, and coordinating audit settlements. The position will also oversee the Company’s unclaimed property compliance including but not limited to preparing annual reports and payments to states, preparing monthly reconciliations of the unclaimed property liability account, monitoring due diligence letters and responses, reissuing payments as needed and supporting any unclaimed property audits. The position will also support the tax department with various projects on an ad hoc basis.
United Natural Foods, Inc. (UNFI) is looking for a Senior Tax Analyst to support the Company’s audit and unclaimed property activities, as well as other various projects within the tax department. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Maintain audit tracker
- Compile and provide supporting work papers and reports for income and indirect tax return filing positions, provide invoice backup to substantiate sales tax compliance, provide and monitor customer exemption certificates, and provide all other documentation requested by auditors
- Assist in correspondence with auditors and the negotiation of audit settlements
- Review final audit reports for accuracy and to summarize favorable and unfavorable audit results
- Calculate cash tax impact of audit settlements
- Communicate audit outcomes to the tax compliance team to prevent future audit assessments
- Communicate preliminary audit results to the tax accounting team to support the Uncertain Tax Position analysis
- Maintain evidence of the tax department’s compliance with SOX controls
- Prepare annual unclaimed property filings and payments to states
- Reconcile the unclaimed property liability account and produce related cash tax forecast
- Manage the unclaimed property due diligence requirement by contacting property owners and answering due diligence responses within the required time frame
- Support members of the Corporate Tax Group with other tax-related projects as assigned
- Performs other relevant job duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university; advanced degrees (MST, JD/LLM) a plus
- CPA a plus
- Minimum 3 years of tax experience in a public accounting firm, or a combination of public accounting and in-house corporate tax experience with an SEC registrant
- Strong tax compliance background including income tax and indirect tax
- Experience with federal and/or state audits
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to multitask audit assignments in a dynamic, deadline-driven environment
- Strong tax research and writing skills
- Intermediate to advanced MS Excel skills required
- Demonstrated aptitude for working with multiple IT software tools
- Experience with Oracle ERP a plus
- Experience with unclaimed property compliance a plus
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to build relationships throughout the UNFI organization and with external auditors
- Ability to take initiative while seeking appropriate mentorship
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. UNFI is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all. - M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.